What I do; what has gone before
Commissioning Editor, Mosaic (2012-present)
A unique online publication delivering longform journalism under a Creative Commons licence. Supported by the Wellcome Trust, Mosaic is a weekly publisher of in-depth, compelling stories exploring and explaining the science of life. Its features are widely praised and republished in the likes of The Atlantic, Financial Times, BBC Future, the Guardian, Pacific Standard, Buzzfeed and Gizmodo.
Features Mun-Keat has edited and produced have been listed among the 2014 Best Reads lists of Longform.org, Longreads.com and Digg, earned three mentions in the New Yorker, and a nomination for Best profile of a health or medical figure at the 2015 Medical Journalists’ Association Awards. He also directs Mosaic’s social media, produced an ebook compilation of Mosaic stories, and launched its podcast of audio narrations.
For my work on Mosaic, I won the silver Rising Star Award at the 2015 British Media Awards.
Senior Editor / Online Editor / Science Writer, The Wellcome Trust (2008-present)
Co-author, The Big Questions in Science: The quest for the great unknowns (2013)
Executive Committee / Co-Director / News Editor / Web Editor, Association of British Science Writers
Producer, the Geek Calendar project
News Editor, SciDev.Net
Editor-in-chief, I, Science. Imperial College London’s science magazine. Runner-up at the 2005 Guardian Student Media Awards.
- Msc. Science Communication, Imperial College London
- BSc. (Hons.) Genetics with Industrial Experience, University of Manchester
Interviews/nice things people have said
- The Big Questions in Science recommended by AAAS
- NPR coverage of The Big Questions in Science
- Cambridge 105 FM – The Science Show: The Big Questions in Science
- City University – Q&A: Ryan O’Hare, 2012/3 Wellcome Trust Studentship winner
- Alice Bell – UK Science Blogger interview: Mun-Keat Looi
- OMG science – Case Study: Wellcome Trust